Monday, July 14, 2008

Liberation (Day)!

After 10 months in a studio apartment with an abbreviated kitchen, which consisted of a abbreviated stove and no choppin' space, I have a real kitchen! (Ok, no one in New York has a real kitchen, except the the fancy people, but it's pretty darn close!)

And oh so timely, feeling liberated, I baked everyone's favorite crunchy chocolate chip cookies over the weekend and this afternoon treated myself to a new All-Clad 10 inch frying pan and sauteed two pieces of fish, Chris was thoroughly impressed--a delightful celebration of all that is liberated in this world. 

Tomorrow, another celebration of liberation--the women's lib kind--a NYAAF BBQ, anyone got a good potato salad recipe handy?

1 comment:

Nancy DeCherney said...

Rats, Constance, I didn't see you request for potato salad in time.
I tend to make a non-mayo based one, and people seem to like it.

A friend requested the recipe a bit back and I sent her this:

This one had 4 pounds red potatoes.
Boil them in the skins and allow to cool. Some times I use them hot, but can be done with them cooled.

I'll try to pay attention more closely in the future!


Whisk all together in a large mixing bowl:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 tablespoon mustard (I used Plochmans stone ground) and I think ended up using more, but ???
1 clove garlic mashed with 1 teaspoon salt.
1 bunch of green onions, sliced into 1/4 inch pieces.
6 stalks of celery, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
freshly ground pepper, I like a lot, and some more salt.
I believe there was maybe juice from 1/2 lemon involved as well.
Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks or small slices. Add to the vinaigrette and stir up.
Taste and add more whatever.
Sprinkle with parsley.
Good today and tomorrow. Keep refrigerated but allow to come to room temp to eat.