Monday, November 10, 2008

Ugly Weather Meal Season

So, it comes again. Daylight Savings is over. The October rains have segued into the November rains. We have had a few good a.m. frosts and Deer Mountain has worn some fresh lace for several days.
It is soup and stew season.
First up is a slow cooker recipe. I love the slow cooker. I love the pressure cooker. I love Paris in the spring...never mind.

Stew Provencal
From Slow Cooker Recipe Collection, Publications International, Ltd., 2001

2 cans beef broth (about 14 oz ea), divided
1/3 cup flour
1.5 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and diced
6 red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into cubes
3 cups cut green beans (frozen or fresh)
2 cloves garlic, minced (Ha! We started at eight)
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1. Combine 3/4 cup beef broth and flour in small bowl. Set aside.
2. Add remaining broth and the rest of the ingredients into slow cooker; stir. Cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or on high 4-5 hours. If cooking on low, turn to high for last 30 minutes. Stir in flour mixture for last thirty minutes.

I may try making an aioli to stir into this at the table whenever it gets made again. I love simple.

Serve with bread, butter, beer, or red wine. Enjoy.

1 comment:

Nancy DeCherney said...

Did we tell you it snowed when we were in Paris in April this spring?

OK, so I like to blow things up, but press cookers....I don't know. Slow cookers yes. I've joined the Slow Food movement.
I think that is why we eat at 8 or later every night.

John has some comments he needs to make on his own. You can do it John!