Saturday, March 15, 2008

I eat tartes and macarons just to be with her alone, Angelina


Today Laura and I had a very decadent and cliché Parisian afternoon. After doing some shopping (finding nothing but tourists and pushy old french ladies) at the the Galerie Lafayette and Printempts we wandered down to a café called Angelina on Rue de Rivoli, famous for it's hot chocolate. The café was darling, very Marie Antoinette/Petit Trianon, while also being ever so slightly touristy, which I imagine is inescapable on Rue de Rivoli. I had helped Laura edit an application she was working on for money that would allow her to spend a few weeks in Paris researching American writers in Paris, and she said that she was treating me to hot chocolate chez Angelina as a thank you. Once we got there, we realized that we were going to have to order a pastry too. The pastries were gorgeous and all looked amazing. We were seated on the second floor, which overlooks the entry, so we had a nice view of people coming in and all of the pastries, which came in handy when trying to decide which one to order. Laura ordered something that was kind of like a light cheesecake with a raspberry core, but it was oh, so darling and oh, so Marie Antoinette, that it didn't really matter what was inside, it was just too darling not to order it. I had spotted a macaron pastry and I'm ashamed now to admit that I had never had a macaron in Paris and was excited to try one. It was a kind of macaron sandwich, filled with rasperries, violet creme et raspberry and strawberry jelly. It was HEAVEN. Why have I resisted the macaron for so long? Why? The hot chocolate was also fantastic- very dark and seasoned with a little bit of something but I couldn't tell you what it was. Laura and I shared one, and it came in a little pitcher and was accompanied by a little bowl of whipped cream. It was a vachement fabulous afternoon. Merci, Laura!

No comments: