Saturday, March 8, 2008

My grandfather's legacy

John's away in Chile and Argentina (oh darn, those pesky business trips) and so lately, I've been eating like my grandfather: When my grandmother was dying, she taught him to make a couple of his favorite dishes - green beans cooked long and hard with bacon (actually quite good, I didn't know green beans came in any other color than olive drab until I went away to college), spaghetti. He'd make up a pot of spaghetti or beans, and because the family had been a big one, the recipes made a pretty large pot, and then just eat it every day until gone.
So, I went to the store and got a package of ground round, and have been every night having a little hamburger pattie fried up, with some version of starch, some version of green vegetable, and some version of fruit every night. Quick and tasty. Last night it was hash browns of Yukon Gold, beet greens, and a mango, blackberry, kiwi, orange salad and a glass of Marques de Caceres.

No comments: