Friday, December 7, 2007

The Most Perfect Single Dish in Food History According to JD

John was in Ketchikan on Wednesday and stopped at the house to help me out with a bottle of Montez Folly, '04. Verra nice and the artwork by Stedman on the label is okay, too.
Anyway, during the course of a wide-ranging conversation, he dropped the fact that his all time favorite single food dish is a hot fudge sundae with chopped nuts.
Por que? you may ask. Textures: crunchy to soft. Taste: Salty to sweet. Vision: Bright. Temperature: cold and hot.
Now I cannot get the thought of one out of my head, and there really is not a good ice cream parlor here. Oh, well, I guess that I'll just have to stock up on fixin's.

2 comments:

ren.decherney said...

It's funny, I have never heard my father declare his love for hot fudge sundaes! Who knew? Good work, Hunter.

Nancy DeCherney said...

Who knew?
Possibly this stems from fond memories of his years at the Greenery in Wilmington, where they made their own hot fudge, thick and gooey and good. We developed a little following in Haines (the only kind you can have in Haines) the summer we managed the little restaurant and had hot fudge sundaes on the menu. During the Exxon Valdez period, John had been known for making those cute puff paste swan cream puffs and floating them on a bed of said thick dark chocolate for fancy dinners with oil execs. In fact the former First Lady was all for marketing the stuff. It is a swell recipe, makes way more than any sane person would need, and so you can make a batch, put it in jars and give it as holiday gifts! And still have enough for yourself!
The Greenery's Hot Fudge Sauce
1 cup milk
1/4 cup coffee
1/2 pound cocoa
3/4 pound powdered sugar
1/4 pound butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla.

Put all the ingredients in the top of a double boiler and melt it together, stirring until smooth.

I see a note that I've added at the bottom: keeps well. Not sure how I would know that with surety.