Sunday, November 25, 2007

Turkey Noodle Casserole

John made a tasty mom-style dish last night: leftover turkey in a cream sauce baked altogether with egg noodles. He was aiming at tetrazzini, in a salute to a childhood friend of a good friend of ours, who, when invited to her home for dinner, apparently sat down at the table and announced that she only ate Chicken Tetrazzini. Chicken Tetrazzini is now code in their home for being a fuss-budget.

I am sympathetic, I recall being just a little wierded out by food at other people's houses, and I recall as a child I would only eat Breaded Veal Cutlets when we went out, much to my parents' chagrin. Not even sure where I came up with that, don't think my mom ever made it.

I think my brother and sister would only eat either spaghetti or hamburgers.

Our kids were much cheaper dates: They only ate plain cheese nachos, with a strawberry guava juice. The two of them could split a 1/2 order at the local Tex-Mex place and be happy little diners. Please don't sully the plate with sour cream, salsa, jalapeno or anything else. It was a real big day when Ren ate her first hamburger.

One of her little friends would pretty much only eat white food. Once she came over and we made a batch of plain (we thought it was plain) buttered spaghetti noodles for her. John sprinkled a teeny tiny bit of chopped parsley flakes in, and it was a remarkable sight to watch her carefully get each tiny flake off a noodle before eating it.

John's casserole was home cooking at its most comforting. I think all the kids would have liked it, even Miss Chicken Tetrazzini.

No comments: