Saturday, October 27, 2007

Prawns, pasta and hell in general

Sharon and Alec, I don't think that there is a difference between shrimp and prawns although I think that you are correct that the smaller ones are called, naturally, shrimp. I can't recall hearing the word prawns until I moved out here. Which brings me to...

The difference between dinner and supper. I don't recall that anyone that I knew growing up called the evening meal dinner or supper depending on what was served or what had been served previously or any such tradition. Keep in mind that Delaware is not exactly a cultural cross road. Good thing we had the Rizzos across the street to expand our horizons. I never had Duke's mayonnaise until last month and didn't taste grits until I was in my twenties. The supper/dinner debate seems to be a remnant of agrarian society and although Grandfather Sam, alev shalom, did have a horse he was hardly a farmer. Though I do have photographic evidence that my Uncle Lou, alev shalom, was a cowboy.

Last night for dinner Hunter apparently had pork with bacon cream sauce for dinner. What better way to celebrate the Sabbath? I can't tell if you are going to get hate mail from your Rabbi or your Cardiologist. When I commented to Nancy on the heavily porcine nature of the meal her comment was "Well, you've been to Germany. I'm surprised he didn't have a side of sausage." The Germans do love their pork don't they? I have to say that when we were over there on the last night we were promised a "special treat" by our hosts at the winery and we wound up at a pig knuckle restaurant. Fortunately, this was another in a series of meals that was saved by copious amounts of German lager. German beer is remarkably wonderful.

In all fairness thin slices of pork or veal schnitzel is a great meal.

And I guess it's nice to know that if I am going to hell on a Deuteronomy rap then at least Hunter Davis will be roasting along with me in the cafeteria line which reminds me of a joke that is totally filthy. Hopefully right now the light went on over my daughter's head and she thought to herself "Ooooooo...you're going to hate Friday". Miss you kiddo and try to stay out of the bars at least one night a week.

Pasta shapes. I grew up on Spaghetti. Spaghetti must be considered uncool or declasse now what with all of the other shapes available. I had a group of Rotarians over for dinner and served your basic Spaghetti and meat sauce. My buddy Eric was ecstatic because although his wife is a good cook and makes lots of pasta he craved the basic shape that all of us suburban white kids first encountered.

I think the first time I ever saw bow tie noodles was when Aunt Ruth, alev shalom, served kasha and varnishkas. Man, is that preparation a little slice of heaven. I can't remember the first time I ever saw Rigatoni but that has been my pasta of choice ever since. The allure of Angel Hair alludes me, it clumps real quick. When I make my baked noodle casserole Ren insists that I make it with Elbow Macaroni. Elbow Macaroni is also what I use for Minestrone Soup and I couldn't tell you why. I also couldn't tell you why so many "old fashioned" Italian restaurants (you know, red mesh plastic bread baskets with "Italian bread" as opposed to plates of Focaccia with olive oil for dipping. Do they really do that in Italy?) always serve Baked Ziti. All Ziti apparently has to be baked. Per que, Grasshopper?

4 comments:

ren.decherney said...

The light did go off in my head, and guess what I thought next...?

Hunter said...

Well, tonight, Sat, we enjoyed an Oktoberfest at St Johns. I made Alsatian Charcuterie, smoked pork chops, kielbasa sausage, new potatoes, seasoned with juniper berries, peppercorns, caraway, etc. There were potato pancakes with sour cream and applesauce. There was a magnificent saurbraten. Pork loin, hot potato salad, gravies, and more sausage. Washed down with Spaten Pils and Bonair Winery's Dry Gewurtzhiemer.
Pardon my eructation...urrp.
Hunter

Nancy DeCherney said...

When I was a kid, mom always baked spaghetti. I still like it best that way. The sauce gets all cooked onto the noodles and doesn't slide around on the plate and drip on your white blouse and stuff. And it tastes really yummy.

Cuzzin"M" said...

I like to use spaghetti as a crust for ground turkey pie. I cook the spaghetti and form in into a crust shape in a well-oiled pie plate and bake it at 450 for about 10 minutes...until it gets crusty. I then fill it with a mixture of ground turkey, sauteed mushrooms,onions, celery, etc. mixed with spaghetti sauce and bake it at 350 until it is heated through. Voila` a spaghetti pie!
Not exactly South Philly italian but close enough...
Here is the problem with kasha it smells yucky while it is cooking. What's the deal with that?